Tuesday, May 11, 2010

So long, my dearest youth

We had a good run, you and I. The last few years especially. We recounted endangered loves, held up our glasses, and always got around to kiss 'n tells. We never knew what we really wanted. And that was okay for a long time. You know, because there were no consequences to living that way. But just recently, bottom lines are becoming quite insistent. And the days increasingly dire. I'm not giving up on love. I think I'm just learning to love certain things a lot more than others. Let's be honest with ourselves now. We've inherited the habit of spending the first few years playing games with one another. And while there's no rush, there's also no need for intentional mystery and misdirection. I need to know there are people out there interested in just being honest and open. People with a certain wholehearted intention in life to being consistently sincere. While at the same time, stable. So let's stop with the weight of first impressions. Let's even retire the renditions of fairytales that we've traced in our hearts. I just so desperately want to know that beneath the awkward pauses and timid stares, is something much more profound than mere storytelling. More paramount than goosebumps and butterflies. And above all, someone who will become much more indispensable than I had ever dreamed of.